Made By Lawyers For Law Students.

Nigerian Law School Admission Requirements

Studying law is immensely expensive in Nigeria as elsewhere. But given the state of the Nigerian economy and the all-pervading recession going on in the country the authorities ought to have done something to lessen the financial burden borne by all law school aspirants. But it remains to be seen if that call would be headed.

The cost of attending the Nigerian Law School stands at N295, 000 Naira  and if we throw in the living expenses for the entire one year duration of the program and other incidental expenses, the sum could rise to nearly half a million Naira. That is somewhat huge considering the fact that students don’t spend anything near that amount in getting a 5 year LLB. In Nigeria.

To my way of thinking, the mammoth law school financial requirement must have been designed to act as a bottle neck to discourage the influx of people in the legal profession. With that said, let’s high light the Nigerian Law School requirements in the ensuing paragraphs.

Nigerian Law School Requirement

To be eligible to be admitted into the one year compulsory law school training, you must have successfully completed a law undergraduate degree (in this case an LLB.). The courses offered at the Nigerian Law School, include Criminal Litigation, Civil Litigation, Property Law Practice, Corporate Law Practice and Law in Practice (ethics and skills).

Cost of attending the Nigerian Law School

The cost of attending the Nigerian Law School has been fairly stable over the years and the figures relied on here are based on the fees charged for the present 2016/2017 session. They are divided into those for Nigerians and Foreigners.

For Nigerians

E-Handbook (CD-ROM) N3,000
Facilities Maintenance N33,000
Quality Assurance N15,000
Security Services N15,000

Total: N295,000

For Foreigners

In the case of foreigners seeking admission at the Nigerian Law School, they are equally mandated to pay the same amount for every item on the above list with the exception of tuition for the Bar II and the fees for the Bar II exam. For the Bar II tuition, foreigners are required to pay $2, 500 dollars (N900,000 naira) as against the $30 dollars (N10,000 naira) levied on Nigerians. As for the Bar Part II exam fees, foreigners are to pay the total sum of $500.00 dollars. In total, foreigners are to pay $3,000 dollars (N1million naira) plus an additional $720 dollars (N260,000 naira) compared to $816 dollars (N295,000 naira) Nigerians are to pay in total.

Update: Guys, I just gathered that a lot of you are planning on attending the Nigerian Law School this year. But it appears from the messages I’ve been getting that some of you would like to have more information about the admission process. I’d like to assist you all in whatever small way I can. So you can direct whatever inquiries you have to me, filling out the contact form on this website and I’ll get back to you ASAP. Cheers

Patrick Herbert is the Editor-in-Chief and founder of Law Student Hub. He is an LL.B. Law graduate from the University of Benin, Nigeria. He's a life enthusiast, a budding writer and internet entrepreneur. Patrick is deeply passionate about law and research and has inspired many with his thought-provoking articles. To get in touch, follow him on social media.
42 Comments
  1. Israel says

I intend studying CIVIL LAW in Rome, Italy. The first four years are for a Licentiate degree and another two years for doctorate degree. I am planning to go straight six/seven years to obtain both the Licentiate and the Doctorate in that Civil Law in Rome. Can I still be admitted to the Nigerian Law School after obtaining a doctorate? Can I still be eligible for the Nigerian Law School after obtaining a Master’s degree and Doctorate degree in Civil Law?

2. Henry says

The senate has just amended the Act establishing the Open University of Nigeria thereby empowering NOUN Law graduates to go to Law School and NYSC. My question is, have they been given their own quota by the Law School?

1. Patrick Herbert says

Thanks Henry for bringing that development to my attention. And about your question, I have no idea what the Law Schools quota for NOUN law graduates is. But if I do find out I’ll be more than happy to let you know.

3. micheal says

can I use mass communication degree to enter law school

1. Patrick Herbert says

Hi Micheal. That’s definitely not possible. The Nigerian Law School is not a post-graduate institution that accepts all graduates wishing to get an advance certification. It’s restrictively a qualifying institution for only LLB. graduates seeking to become lawyers. Obviously, yours isn’t that. But if you’re in the UK, you could be admitted into the programme if you do one of those law conversion courses now offered in the UK.

4. Dike Michael says

Am an international student, studied Law at HNAUB, already have my LLB DEGREE. I need your help in securing admission into Nigerian law school…

1. Patrick Herbert says

Hello Michael.I’m flattered you want my help, but unfortunately I can’t be of any help to you since I don’t work there. Why don’t you contact them yourself. Let me know how it went.

5. Richard Attu says

I am Ghanaian LLB graduate interested in seeking admission @Nigeria Law School. I wan to find out my eligibility to the Nigeria Law School? I graduated from a university in Ghana

1. Patrick Herbert says

Hello Richard, thanks for leaving a message. As a Ghanian seeking admission into the Nigerian Law School, you’d be regarded as a Foreign National, wishing to practice law in Nigeria. Under the provision of the Legal Practitioners Act, only citizens of Nigerian who have obtained LLB degrees are eligible for admission into the Nigerian Law School. But that requirement of being a citizen of Nigeria may be waived in respect of persons who in the opinion of the Council of Legal Education (the body charged with the education of lawyers) have completed courses of study in law in any approved University with the award of an LLB.
      It’s clear you are eligible for having already obtained an LLB degree in your home country. However, I’m not too familiar with the procedure for admission into the Law School programme with particular regard to foreign Nationals. Usually, For Nigerian law graduates seeking enrollment at the law School, their graduating universities do often handle the admission process on their behalves. It’s unlikely your university would do that for you.
      I’d advise you do contact the Nigerian Law School yourself and make all the enquiries you need to commence the admission process. Hope this helps

6. Ubong Fidelis says

I want to know whether this information on the school fees is still relevant for 2017/2018 session. If it is, how does one pay?

1. Patrick Herbert says

Hello Ubong. Thanks for leaving a comment. The figures on the Nigerian Law School fees provided here were based on those of the last session. However, it remains still relevant since fees have been seldom altered for the last decade. As a result, the tuition fees for last session might readily apply to the present session. When a candidate has applied for admission and been accepted, usually the Law School provides you a link to make the required tuition fees on the Schools official site. Hope this helps.

7. Mide says

Hi, at what point will I be needing my law school certificate at the nigerian law school. I just recently finished my LL.B program and I have no intention of going to collect my certificate till after bar exams

1. Patrick Herbert says

Hello Mide, thanks for leaving a comment. The Law School will request for your law degree certificate at any point before your call to bar. But if you haven’t got it, you can still go on to apply for the programme. But once you’re admitted, be sure you get it before the call to bar ceremony otherwise you’ll be disallowed.

8. POUTCHEU YOSSA MESMIN says

Hello Sir,

I am Poutcheu Yossa Mesmin a cameroonian with a bachelor degree in Private Law. After my law studies, I have worked in some local and international companies but now, I would like to enter the nigerian law school, in order to be enrolled in the Cameroon Bar Association. How can I apply for admission in this school? Looking forward to hearing promptly from you, Kind Regards

1. Patrick Herbert says

Hello Yossa, thanks for the comment. I understand you are seeking admission into the Nigerian Law School as a foreign national. By your own account, you seem eligible for the programme as complimented by your strong legal practice background. I’d advice you contact the Law School directly. If you can, pay the school’s admission office a visit for all admission enquiries or give them a call on their direct line. Do Keep me updated on your progress.

9. Folaranmi Habeeb says

Hi sir
    Please can I use a political science degree to pursue a law career

1. Patrick Herbert says

Hello Habib. Absolutely. As someone with already a first non-law degree, you could gain admission to study law in Nigeria via direct entry into year two. You can find Direct entry forms on the JAMB official site. Hope I’ve answered your question. Cheers.

10. Kenny Adebayo says

Good morning Patrick.. Please is it possible to have two posting to Nigeria law school.. Based on if you have two application no

1. Patrick Herbert says

That might be a tantalizing proposition in theory at least, Kenny. But in reality, it seldom happens. It’s one posting for each candidate since the Law School slots are quite limited.

11. emmanuel bokono says

I am cameroonian.
    Ist possible on line. I am foreigner as i said. please can you help me?

1. Patrick Herbert says

Hi Emmanuel. I’d very much like to take your question, but I can’t understand exactly what it is you are asking. Could you be a little clearer? Thanks.

12. Oluwaseun says

hi Patrick Herbert I recently just graduated from the University of London LLB from recognized law school in Malaysia. As a full time law school will I be able to apply for Nigerian Law school as a foreign Student. As similar to Noun Student in Nigeria next year in 2018 due to senate amendment.

Thank you, and Best Regards.

1. Patrick Herbert says

Hello Oluwaseun. As a law graduate of an approved foreign university, I see no reason why you aren’t eligible for law school. Of course, the course offerings and admission criteria for foreign trained law graduates radically differs from their Nigerian-trained counterparts, but even this doesn’t put you in any disadvantage. Your last remark seems to suggest your foreign university’s law programme bears an identity with the NOUN programme. If I’m correct, then this changes everything. In that case, you may experience difficulty getting accepted into the law school as graduates of that institution have. Hope I have answered your question. Wish you all the best!

13. jason says

sorry i want to study law abroad i want to know the countries that i can study it in that will grant me access to law school

1. Patrick Herbert says

You can study anywhere and still be admitted. But to avoid difficulties getting in, you might want to attend schools in countries with legal systems similar to Nigeria’s – Those with common law legal systems.

14. Tolu says

Hi Patrick, I want to resit bar part 2 exams,pls guide me

1. Patrick Herbert says

Hello Tolu. I’m flattered you’re turning to me for help but I don’t know precisely what guidance you need. Could you specify? Thanks

15. Miriam Etaka says

Hi good day. just want to find out if registration into the law school is done online? My younger sister want to further her education in law and I don’t know how to start with the registration process. please I need your help.

1. Patrick Herbert says

Hello Miriam. If your sister is a graduate of a Nigerian University, she won’t need to apply to the law school herself. Normally, the graduating university issues the forms and processes the admission on her behalf while she pays the requisite processing fees. But if, on the other hand, she’s a foreign student (studied abroad), she’ll have to contact the law school herself and initiate the admission. Please, let me know her exact situation.

16. PRINCE EBBS says

Hello Patrick! I have a strong passion to being a lawyer, I’ve had my B.Sc in Insurance and my Masters degree in Insurance too both from Nigeria. I’d like to know if i could be admitted into the Nigerian Law school if i get a post graduate diploma in Law and an LL.M too.

1. Patrick Herbert says

Hi Prince. I’m afraid to say that wouldn’t work. And the reason is simple. To qualify for the law school, you must hold at least a first degree in law, in this case, an LLB or it’s equivalent. But if you lack this, you won’t get admitted, even with a post-graduate diploma in law or an LLM. These programmes don’t impart the basic knowledge of law required for admission into the law school. But if I may be so forward as to make a suggestion, since you already hold a first non-law degree in insurance, your best course of action might be to get a law degree through direct entry into year two of any Nigerian law university of your choice. Then spend three additional years studying for the LLB. After which, you can apply to the law school for admission. Hope this helps.

1. PRINCE EBBS says

Thanks

17. Ikeji ndubuisi cephas says

Your Comment:goodday sir/ma!for someone who have bsc computer science&masters of international law&deplomacy.can he be admitted into law school.thanks sir,from mr ikeji.

1. Patrick Herbert says

Unfortunately not. Kindly see my reply to Prince Ebbs below, as that applies to you equally given you’re both faced with similar circumstances. I hope that has answered your question.

18. Ret says

Good Afternoon Patrick, I am a currently pursuing an LLB in the UK (in my final year) and i have been trying to apply for the Nigerian Law School Bar 1 programme but there is nothing on the website (i am a Nigerian citizen). Do i have to email them myself to initiate the application. Also, i saw on a previous website that i must have taken the following subjects to be admitted in the Law school: Law of Contract, the Law of Tort, Constitutional Law, Criminal Law, Land Law, Equity and Trusts, the Law of Evidence, and Commercial Law. I didn’t take evidence, constitutional and commercial law. Do you think this is going to be a problem. Thank You.

1. Patrick Herbert says

Thanks for leaving a comment. As a foreign trained law graduate seeking admission into the NLS, both your course requirements and admission criteria differs essentially from those of your Nigerian counterparts. And so does the programme. All foreign students are only eligible to enroll for the Bar Part 1 and spend twice as much time as Nigerian trained law graduates before gaining eligibility for the Bar Part II. Whereas, Nigerian trained students go straight into the Bar Part 11 without needing to take any additional or remedial courses as their foreign counterparts. One reason for this separate criteria for Foreign and Nigerian students is because foreign students having schooled abroad could only have been exposed to the legal system of their foreign host country without been educated on that of their home country where they might subsequently seek admission for legal practice. The Nigerian law school authorities seem to have recognized this fact and have introduced certain compulsory law courses in their curriculum to remedy this apparent shortcoming. So it’s possible that even when you’ve not taken certain basic Nigerian law courses during your study abroad, you might still be allowed admission into the Nigerian Law School Programme provided the omitted courses are offered by the law school. . Evidence, constitutional law and commercial law are three indispensable courses for every Nigerian lawyer and a prerequisite for a successful legal practice in Nigerian. For this reason, they could pose a stumbling to your qualification for bar practice in Nigeria if you didn’t offer them in your foreign undergraduate study. Still, even if you didn’t, endeavor to speak with the schools admission office to find out if there might be any waiver for anyone in your situation. Phone calls and emails aren’t particularly effective ways of reaching them, but it might help if you could come to Nigeria and pay them a personal visit. I hope this helps.

1. Ret says

Thank you for your Reply. When do you think the admission process or Bar 1 will statrt.

1. Patrick Herbert says

Sorry Ret, but I have no idea. Why don’t you ring up the law school and find out.

19. Victor James says

Please when will payment of fees for the Nigerian law school 2017/2018 end?

1. Patrick Herbert says

Depending on the time of posting, candidates are often required to pay up the fees two to three weeks after posting. But if you’re on the last batch, you’ll have less time to do so. To know when yours is due, check what batch you are on.

20. Dola says

Does admission into the law school terminates? My sister graduated with LL. B a few years back but she hasn’t been to Law school due to some unfortunate circumstances. She however is ready this year. Please, can she still be admitted to Law school?

1. Patrick Herbert says

Yes, if by that you mean that someone who was admitted but couldn’t attend could reapply the following year. As you already know, the law school programme itself is year-long and admission isn’t on rolling basis but efflux’s at the end of that years session. That means persons who were admitted or eligible for admission but couldn’t apply (for reasons best known to them) could seek readmission in the next session, provided they didn’t pay tuition in the lapsed admission. Otherwise, the impression might be that such candidates did in fact accept the admission and in the ordinary way, are treated as resit candidates for having failed to sit for the bar exams. Hope this helps.