The ridiculous laws are those laws that make you wonder if their makers were drunk at the time of promulgation. These laws make you laugh so hard until you nearly get choked on your laughter. Here are a list of the 25 most ridiculous laws you’ll ever see.
(1) In France, it’s illegal for women to wear pants
(2) It is illegal to make funny faces at a dog in the city of Oklahoma
(3) In Saudi Arabia, Women are prohibited from driving a car
(4) In Minnesota, USA, it’s illegal to hang both male and female underwear on a washing lane.
(5) Divorce is unlawful in Philippines and Vatican
(6) Being overweight is against the law in Japan
(7) In Denmark you cannot pay for food until you are full
(8) it’s illegal to die in parliament in Britain
(9) Chewing gum is illegal in Singapore
(10) Rescuing a drowning man is illegal in China
According to the Chinese, this would be interfering with their fate.
(11) It is illegal to die without a cemetery plot in France
In France you must buy a cemetery plot before you contemplate death.
(12) Being poor is against the law in Saudi Arabia
In Saudi Arabia any man not earning a “reasonable” income can be imprisoned.
(13) It’s illegal to not smile in Milan
The law in Milan in Italy states that it is a legal requirement to smile at all times unless during funeral or hospital visits. The penalty is a hefty fine.
(14) It is illegal to wear bullet proof vest during a robbery in New Jersey
In New Jersey, United States, a person can be charged separately for wearing a bullet vest while carrying out criminal acts
(15) It is a crime to masturbate in Indonesia
In Indonesia, anyone found guilty of masturbation may be decapitated.
(16) In Alaska men must never be completely naked
(17) It is illegal to buy drinks for more than 3 persons in Nevada, United States
(18) In Alabama, United States, having fake mustaches that cause laughter in churches are prohibited.
(19) In the State of Florida, US, every computer in the state was accidentally banned due to a bad wording in a law which outlawed internet cafes
(20) In Iowa, US, one-armed piano players must perform for free
(21) In Michigan, US, a woman is not allowed to cut her hair without the permission of her husband
(22) In India, suicide is legal by section 309 of the penal code but punishment awaits anyone who fails to die.
(23) In Maine, US, it is illegal to keep your decorations after January 14th
(24) In Arizona, US, Donkeys cannot sleep in bathtubs.
(25) In Georgia, US, you can’t keep an ice cream cone in your back pocket on Sundays.
Bonus: In Idaho, US, it is illegal to give anyone a box of chocolate weighing more than 50 pounds.
A youngish lawyer with penetrating insight, Patrick Herbert is the Editor-in-Chief and founder of Lawstudenthub, a site dedicated to helping new wigs find their footing in a trickily slippery legal profession and stay current with emerging developments in the legal industry. He holds an LL.B from the University of Benin and a BL from the Nigerian Law School, Abuja.
To get in touch, follow him on social media.